Electric Sportscar

Sept - Dec

Jan - Feb
Feb - May
May - Aug
Aug - Oct
Oct - Dec

Jan -Sept
Sept - 2015

2015 - Present

- Addendum -



"A man must keep a little back shop where he can be himself without reserve. In solitude alone can he know true freedom."
-Michel De Montaigne 1588

February to May, 2010

Feb 16, 2010 - I just wasn't happy with the trunnions on the stock Spitfire knuckles so I bought a modified set. These take a spherical bearing at the bottom rather than the trunnion. It makes the front suspension much easier to align and they are stronger.
Jan 23, 2010 - In order to fit the Suzuki calipers onto the Spitfire uprights, I made adapters from 3/16 steel plate and some 1" diameter aluminum spacers.
Adapting the rear was a lot more complicated. The Hawke upright brake mounts were trimmed back and reinforced with some 1/2"x1/8" flat stock bent into shape. The adapter bracket was then added.
Mar 19, 2010 - Here is the rear caliper mounted on the upright. The clearances worked out pretty well.
I had decided to order new rod ends and they took a while to come. Finally finished the rear a-arms and radius rods.
I was pleased to see that all dimensions came within 1/8" of original drawings.
Apr 4, 2010 - I picked up a set of Dynamic Suspension shocks form a fellow on the LocostUSA forum. The 18.5" extended length worked out perfectly. Based on preliminary calculations estimating total weight of the car, the 200 lb/in springs that came with the shocks should work out well too.
A-arms are complete and shocks mounted. I tried to copy the Lotus 23 geometry as much as possible. This was challenging to say the least since none of the pivot points are parallel to the centre lines of the chassis.
Rear shock mounted in position. I can't believe how lucky I have been with clearances. I wish I could say it was by design.
Apr 15, 2010 - First fitting of body to chassis. Like most fiberglass bodies, this one is not quite symetrical or square so there will have to be some compromise as to the final fitting.
Apr 29, 2010 - Before mounting the steering rack I had to determine the optimum height in order to minimize bump steer. I put a straight edge across the front and rear hubs and moved the front suspension from full droop to full bump. By using one of the tie rods as a pair of compasses I drew arcs on the plywood to get the best location for the rack.

Previous Page ----- Next Page